|Company Name||Dixie Bloor Neighbourhood Centre|
|Date Posted||June 19, 2013|
|Keywords||Counselling, job developing|
The Employment Counsellor is responsible for the case management and provision of services to newcomers and other community members in developing career options and finding employment opportunities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide culturally sensitive employment services including intake assistance, one-on-one employment counselling, career exploration, job search training and support, and referrals to other community services
- Conduct vocational assessments and assist clients with work action plans to re-enter the labour market
- Provide individual coaching, training and direct support and assistance to participants in the areas of resume writing, interview preparation, job search strategies and other employment/career related topics, according to client’s needs
- Provide coaching in life skills to support successful employment participation
- Work collaboratively with colleagues, community and clients to utilize all necessary resources towards the clients employment
- Maintain professional and accurate client files and monthly reports in accordance with program and agency requirements, including all documentation, client activities, registration, assessment, case notes, work action plans, exit and follow-ups.
- Maintain files and documentation according to internal policies/guidelines, privacy policies and funders’ requirements
- Build positive relationships within the agency and with community partners to ensure that clients needs are met
- Assist in the design of promotional materials and market the program
- Deliver Internet and basic computer training sessions to clients
- Assist clients in the Resource Room with job postings, various Job Banks, Internet Job Search, and use of directories, newspapers, books, etc
- Assist clients, when necessary, with office equipment (computers, fax, phones, and photocopier)
- Work with other Resource Centre staff on promotions, job fairs and community events
- Research and gather information to obtain new and updated resources and tools
- Organize related materials and resources for easy access for clients
- Maintain information and attendance records and prepare monthly statistics and reports.
§ Post secondary education in a related field preferably in Social Sciences or Employment/Career Counselling
- 2 years of work experience in employment related case management, especially newcomers
- Thorough knowledge of all facets of job search strategies and career development and counselling including an understanding of current labour market trends and resources, training programs and employment resources
- Knowledge of local resources, programs that assist with employment goals and ability to make appropriate referrals
- Able to work independently with minimal direction while demonstrating mature judgment
- Excellent facilitation, organizational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and teambuilding skills
- Strong written and spoken English communication skills
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, networking and motivational skills
- Flexible, self-motivated and self reliant
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge working with diverse groups– including adults, youth, newcomers to Canada and other groups with specialized needs and barriers to employment
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
§ Strong organizational skills, able to set priorities,
- High level of computer literacy, knowledge of Microsoft Office, Internet and Windows environment software
- Knowledge and competence with office procedures and operations of office equipment
Please submit your resume and cover letter for reference no. 013-009 by July 03, 2013 to:
Human Resources Officer
Dixie Bloor Neighborhood Centre,
3650 Dixie Rd., Unit 103, Mississauga, ON L4Y 3V9
Fax: (905) 629-0791 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dixie Bloor Neighbourhood Centre is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all candidates for applying but only those selected for an interview will be contacted
- Senior Director Human Resources/Compensation Analyst posted 3 days ago.
- Vocational Counsellor II posted 3 days ago.
- Project Manager, B.C. Job Creation Partnership posted 3 days ago.
- Project Assistant, B.C. Job Creation Partnership posted 3 days ago.
- Business Developer posted 4 days ago.