Website The Centre for Skills Development and Training
Job Opportunity at The Centre for Skills Development & Training
Job Number: 258
Job Title: Skilled Trades Coordinator
Department: Skilled Trades
Start Date: September 2015
Schedule: 35 hours per week (some evening and/or weekend work may be required)
Pay Rate: $30.61 per hour
Reports To: Senior Program Coordinator
Are you entrepreneurial, client focused and committed to team work and excellence? Do you want to work for a recognized leader in career and workforce development, in support of building stronger communities? Do you enjoy working with clients from diverse backgrounds? Then you want to work at The Centre of Skills Development & Training!
We are passionate about our business: providing people with opportunities to build a better future and making a positive impact on peoples’ professional and personal lives.
We deliver high calibre Employment Services, Immigrant Services, Skilled Trades Training and Literacy Upgrading. Headquartered in Burlington, Ontario, with locations in Oakville, Milton and Clarkson. For more information, visit www.thecentre.on.ca
These are your responsibilities:
- Directly supervise team of frontline and instructional trade’s staff
- Provide ongoing support and guidance to frontline staff related to annual targets and service delivery
- Monitor staff performance; conduct monthly supervision meetings and annual performance reviews
- Maintain up-to-date, comprehensive staff files in a confidential manner
- Assist staff to resolve customer related challenges in a professional manner, following documented process
- Chair monthly team meetings to problem solve and strategize trades related issues
- Provide input during annual business planning process and the Trades Department’s yearly strategic planning process
- Assist management to develop proposals for community innovation projects
Health and Safety
- Ensure health and safety practices for staff and students are strictly adhered to
- Ensure all shop tools and equipment are in good working order
- Schedule shop audits yearly, follow-up on feedback immediately, make any changes required
- Work in partnership with Gary Allan High School staff on all credit granting Ministry requirements
- Review statistics and reports; problem solve and strategically plan with staff to ensure contract targets are met within timelines
- Conduct file audits and observation sessions to ensure staff are meeting Centre requirements
- Monitor budget expenditures; order supplies and resources
- Work with management to problem-solve contract related issues and suggest future enhancements
- Develop a strong working knowledge of: Ministry of Education, Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities Ontario Women’s Directorate, Service Canada, Canadian Women’s Foundation, Ministry of Education curriculum and co-op guidelines to ensure compliance
- Ensure high quality program delivery.
This is what you bring to the table:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma and skilled trades experience. Ontario Teaching Certificate an asset
- 3 – 5 years’ experience working both front line and in a supervisory capacity within an skilled trades setting
- Experienced in working with adults from a culturally diverse background
- Strong leadership skills and ability to motivate a team towards achievement of goals and high standards
- Excellent project management, organizational, and time management skills
- Skilled in problem solving and strategic thinking
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple priorities on an ongoing basis
- Broad based knowledge of community services relating to employment, labour market information and resources, and job search
- Experience and sensitivity to deal with individuals from various occupational, educational, and cultural backgrounds
- Well-developed relationship-building skills and ability to develop rapport and communicate effectively with partners, clients, members of the general public, and colleagues
- Able to provide excellent internal and external customer service with a professional demeanour at all times
- Highly skilled, experienced, and comfortable using MS Office suite and online databases
Knowledgeable and skilled in reading and interpreting reports
- Results-oriented and self-motivated: take pride and initiative in work to ensure a high standard of service delivery
- Strong comfort level and experience with working in an outcomes-based service delivery model
- Access to a reliable vehicle, possession of a valid driver’s license, and willingness to travel throughout Halton and Peel regions as required
- Availability to work evening and/or weekend shifts on a rotating schedule as required
Please e-mail or fax your resume and cover letter to:
The Centre for Skills Development & Training
Application Deadline: Tuesday September 1, at 4:00 p.m.
In order to be considered, all applications must include the job number and title in the email subject line or on the cover sheet if faxing.
We thank all applicants for their interest in The Centre, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted for an interview, please inform us should accommodation be required.
In the spirit of the Human Rights Code, we ask that resumes not include personal data such as age, health, marital and family status.