Website John Howard Society of Durham Region
Community Based Social Service Agency
The Summer Jobs Service Advisor works within a team setting. The Summer Jobs Service Program is funded through MTCU. This program provides free job-search and self-marketing support to help students find summer jobs and year-round employment. A per-hour-per-student hiring incentive is available for eligible Ontario employers to create summer job placements. This position is responsible for a blended role of employment counselling and job development. As an Employment Advisor you would conduct registrations with participants and support employers with their recruitment needs. In both roles, this position would: counsel, advocate, assess and monitor participants and clarify employment needs. Responsible for developing and maintaining required records, documentation and statistical information for reporting and accountability purposes.
Location: Durham Region Due to John Howard Society’s multi-site locations and service delivery requirements the incumbent may be required to work at any of the Durham JHS site locations.
Status: Up to a one year maternity leave contract. (Subject to continued funding). Please note that this contract is subject to an earlier or extended end date with four (4) weeks notice as per ESA, 2000.
Hours: 35 hours/week, evenings and occasional weekends required
Start Date: October 2015
End Date: March 31, 2016 (Subject to an extension to October 2016 contingent upon funding approval.)
- Related Community College diploma, Employment Counsellor diploma is an asset
- Employment and general counselling experience
- Strong case management skills
- Be able to demonstrate a strong ability to work with a Windows operating system, internet, email, Access and MSWord is essential
- Ability to meet deadlines and targets
- Must have ability to travel to service employers within the Region of Durham
- Strong assessment and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task, be flexible and to clearly communicate verbally and in writing
- Demonstrate effective problem solving ability
- Able to take initiative and work as part of a team
- Demonstrate experience in a leadership role with minimal supervision
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Conduct program registrations
- Advise/clarify employment skills, job search tools, developing job search skills; prepare resumes, employment or training applications, and cover letters; job search strategies and interview techniques through one to one counselling or workshops methods
- Provide clients with current workplace Health & Safety information when required
- Research new resources to stay current and provide additional information on job search techniques and create alternate delivery methods
- Provide support to participants conducting job search
- Facilitate group interaction, group exercises, role plays, and mock interviews
- Referral and liaise with community agencies, employers and sector associations in Durham Region Achieve targets and performance measures related to job placement/matches
- Maintain monthly performance related statistical reports
- Representing the agency in the community when required;
- Ensuring that all services are provided within the standards of service maintained by JHS and consistent with the agency’s philosophical beliefs
- To ensure that the appropriate information is collected for use in the performance measurement of Employment services.
- Ensure client and employer files are current and up-to-date and subject to file audit
- Ongoing development of new systems and record keeping methods to ensure funding requirements are met and all documentation is complete, accurate and accountable
- Make follow-up contact to program participants and employers after completion of program.
- Other duties as assigned
- May be exposed to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc
- Interacts with clients, visitors and staff from other organizations
- Intermittent physical activity including walking, standing, sitting, lifting Manual dexterity required to use computers and peripherals;
Only applications submitted through this link will be considered. https://jhsdurham.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=15
We appreciate your interest in this posting and our agency however only applications selected for the interview process will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://jhsdurham.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=15 →