Website Learning Disabilities Association of Toronto District (LDATD)
Learning Disabilities Association of Toronto District (LDATD)
Position: Employment Counsellor / Facilitator – Full Time
Primary Function: Direct assistance to participants/pre-employment support for labour market integration
Responsible for delivering a full range of employment related services to eligible participants: career exploration and career development, skills enhancement and employment related service support within EESA: individual career and job related counselling, screening and recruitment; solution focused counselling; information and referral provision; facilitating group sessions;; coaching and directing participants towards optimum career solutions;; preparing and placing participants for placement, supporting match with job coach and job developer.
Strong preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate proven understanding and knowledge of the LD community and individuals with disabilities.
Areas of Responsibility
• Determines service suitability, gathers profile information from participants, and determine if supports, through career and employment preparation program, can make the participants competitively employable
• Provides supportive career exploration and counselling services
• Assist in goal-setting and action plan preparation, development and implementation
• Deliver all components of the pre-employment, job searching and job readiness program including employment assessment and action planning, variety of targeted topic workshops facilitation and follow-up contacts according to agreement requirements
• Plans and delivers employment and labour market information related workshops
• Assists participants to identify their own skills, qualifications, strength and barriers to employment/education
• Gains increased insights about possible career choices and options
• Develops, with participants a strong resume, an action plan with individual short and long term goals
• Maintains up-to-date case notes, progress reports and participants’ files
• Maintains all aspects of client confidentiality
• Performs regular follow-up with participants
• Liaises with other program staff to ensure coordinated support is provided
• Ensure program participants have mastered job search and interview skills and have developed targeted resumes and cover letters
• Organize filed trips in support of program
• Effectively track program participants’ progress and provide reports for supervisor & colleagues
• Organize employment and integration related materials & tools update regularly
• Responsible for distribution and compiling program participant satisfaction surveys, and feedback forms as well conducting follow-up contacts on a session basis
o Coordinates information, activities and linkages with other LDATD programs
o Facilitate constructive and culturally sensitive communication between LDATD staff and clients
o Informs LDATD administration and colleagues about emerging employment related issues, including a profile of the community
o Attends staff meetings and participates in reporting and decision-making as required
Skills & Qualifications (N.O.C: 4153; 4033; 4215):
• Bachelor’s Degree (Humanities, Social / Support Work, Sociology, Human Resources, or related studies;; Bachelor’s Degree with a College Diploma, specializing in Career Counselling)
• Minimum of 3 years of demonstrated experience in aspects of employment, career job search, coaching in the area of employability, transferable and life skills and job retention/maintenance
• Understanding Learning Disabilities (LDs) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (AD(H)D), barriers individuals face in everyday life and integration, services that are available to assist integration and accommodation.
• Proven experience working with varied profile of job seekers (individuals experiencing challenges to employment / long term unemployment, newcomers, OW and ODSP recipients, differently abled individuals)
• Extensive knowledge of pre-employment supports methods, re-training opportunities and labour market information and resources
• Current knowledge of job search strategies and techniques
• Strong computer skills in a Windows environment (MS Suite), as well as knowledge of computerized career and job search tools (Resume Writer, Career Cruising)
• Ability to assist Job Seekers build career ladders which will assist them realize job search objectives
• Excellent facilitation and one-to-one coaching skills
• Strong organizational and time management skill, orientation to details
• Clear and effective written and oral communication /presentation skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and cultural competency, with demonstrated high level of communication ability –listening, spoken and written
This is a full-time renewable contract position, 40 hours per week.
Start Date: 27 March 2017
Closing Date: 22 March 2017.
Please apply immediately! Please submit your resume with cover letter, quoting “Employment 2017 L2” in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Agency conducts continuous interviews (telephone screening and personal interviews) and will hire the first suitable candidate.
No phone calls, please! Only those candidates selected for interviews will be conducted.