Search in excerpt
Filter by Content Type
Jobs
Resource Listings
Events
Products

Open ContactPoint Group

10 years of career development: I need your input

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Marc Verhoeve Marc Verhoeve 3 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of catherine
    catherine
    Keymaster

I am currently preparing a timeline of career development in Canada in the past 10 years for the upcoming issue of Careering and I need your input. Do you have an event in mind that should be included on the timeline? It can be a new organization launching, an important report, etc. Feel free to share on this forum (or by email at contactpoint@ceric.ca) before Friday Dec.6. Thanks!!

Profile photo of Anne-Marie Edgar
    Anne-Marie Edgar
    Participant

Sounds interesting!

Profile photo of Rob
    Rob Straby
    Participant

Hi Catherine, the Career Development Practitioner Program at Conestoga College started “in the classroom” way back in 1995. We built our first web course in 1997 (funded by the Counselling Foundation of Canada). The significant date in my mind is when the program reached the point where 100% of our courses became available online. The special date was January 2005. This was important as it enabled practitioners from all over Canada to access their professional education.

Profile photo of Marc Verhoeve
    Marc Verhoeve
    Participant

If I were to look back 10 years in my rear view mirror [or is it now my backup camera?], I would say that the biggest benchmark in career development has been the massive explosion of web-based career-related information. Like the parallel explosion of online medical information [and misinformation], individuals experience a number of responses:

1. career information and job market data overload and consequent “info-heartburn”
    2. An inability to discriminate what is accurate data…or wannabe conjecture
    3. a plethora of career-decision making tools, which offer a quick menu of possible directions
    4. career-assessment tests that are free….but not research-based re: norms, validity and reliability

Individuals thus think that they can create a DIY career-decision package without the assistance [and insights] or professional career practitioners.

As a retired secondary-school counsellor and private career-practitioner [and present volunteer resume-coach at a local library], it is evident to me that the web cannot replace a career-practitioner; it however offers a powerful tool for the practitioner to empower clients.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar