Contract World: A Legitimate Opportunity to Work from Home in Canada

Working from home concept.About Contract World
Contract World, formerly ContractXchange is a virtual call centre that began here in Canada. They currently recruit, train and provide home based customer service agents for an incredible array of companies. I had the good fortune to speak with Chantal Levac of Assurant Solutions who regularly uses Contract World to provide customer service agents.

What kind of work is it?
With Contract World you are known as a home-based customer service agent and you are providing all the services that someone in an in-bound call center would provide. What you do depends on the companies you contract with. As a contractor, you decide and pay to get trained for one or more companies.

What are their requirements?
Contract World has the usual technical requirements like a phone line, internet access, headset and a computer and you can find more about that on their website.

What is different about Contract World is that they charge you to get trained.Let’s walk through their model.

So you decide that you would like to become an order taker for a fast food restaurant. To do that you will need to register and pay for training. For this particular contract the training would take three days and cost roughly $150 + tax. The training is all done on line so no need to travel. You need to successfully complete the training and graduate and then you are able to start earning money, allowing you to recoup the cost of the training.

What is the benefit to you of paying to be trained? Well, Contract World brings the work to you. Once you are inside the system and trained, you no longer have to concern yourself with scams. You are able to contract with different companies as long as they are not competitors. Inside Contract World you have access to those other companies. The Shopping Channel may not be hiring when you join Contract World, but as part of that community you would have access to when they do.

When I raised the question of paying for training with Chantal, who’s company Assurant contracts for customer service agents through Contract World, she shared that many of their at home customer service agents had been with them through Contract World for years. She said that part of it was the support that the agents get from Contract World and the community of home-based customer service agents.

What are the hours and rate of pay?
You set your own schedule and the rate of pay varies between $11 to $16 an hour depending on the company, if you are bilingual, and the call volume you handle.

Are they legitimate?
Yes they are legitimate. They are a member of the Better Business Bureau of Canada and have no unresolved complaints.

Where do I find out more?

Anne-Marie Rolfe is a Work from Home Champion in Stratford, PEI and fully committed to researching, investigating and validating legitimate opportunities to work from home. She regularly blogs about legitimate opportunities to work from home or related topics.

Related Posts

From Compliance to Trust: the culture of virtual business

Weworkremotely.com: Legitimate Opportunities to Work from Home

Technical Sales: Legitimate Opportunities to Work from Home

10 Comments

1. Robin
    May 16, 2013, 3:56 pm   /  Reply

Just to let you know..I have worked for the Pizza Pizza company and am a member of Contract….I became a member many years ago and have never paid for any training, but if I wanted to have a job with one of their companies again I would most certainly pay.

You do get paid with no problem and it is legit as stated. What I found is the pay didn’t even come close to what the average was. And with Pizza Pizza if you made a mistake a percentage was deducted from what you received. Here’s the thing with that. Lets say you placed an order for a customer and what they asked for is what they got, but in the end they decided they wanted something else, then YOU made the mistake. So In the end is it worth it. I think it is if you are ready willing and able to sit by your computer for hours on end waiting for your next call to come in. It’s not a difficult job by any means once you’ve been trained…but do keep in mind you also have to purchase a top of the line headphone and mic set or you will be dead in the water and your internet has to be hooked up direct, WiFi isn’t allowed.
    I live in Prescott and it really does work for all those out there looking. I am actually considering going back to them again to make a little extra money. (I have no life. lol)…just wanted to share my experience with you all who are reading this blog.

Robin Shire

2. Avatar of Tony
    May 18, 2013, 9:43 am   /  Reply

Robin (or anyone who may know) you said “sit by your computer for hours on end waiting for your next call to come in”. Is the contractor paid to standby for a call or only after the call comes in and you provide a service?
    Tony

May 21, 2013, 8:32 am   /  Reply

Hi Tony,

In my discussions with Contract World you do get paid for the time you are waiting for the calls.

Anne-Marie

3. X-Contract World agent
    January 20, 2014, 3:59 pm   /  Reply

Hello everyone! I worked for some of their clients such as KFC, Redberry Pizza Hut and The Shopping Channel, all on the Canadian side. I’m not impressed, with the exception for Redberry…maybe. The biggest issue is management. They’re quick to press the ‘terminate’ button or scold their agents such as in the case of KFC. The latter monitors their agents with the ‘Whisper’ Feedback. This means while you’re on a call, if they hear you making an error, they tell you that you’re making a mistake while you’re on the phone speaking to the customer. Sounds confusing? Yep….it is! This took me off guard because at no point did they advise the agents this is a KFC practice. The issue with Redberry Pizza Hut? They love to send out little emails with all the errors you made during your shift. For instance: You added this to the order but you didn’t suggest the promotion. The problem is that if you continuously make the same mistake, wouldn’t it be wise to suggest methods to improve your call quality? Most call centres adopt this ‘logic’ but what’s logical for you, isn’t necessarily logical for the next. The Shopping Channel uses way too many inhouse softwares. They don’t expect you to breath and they don’t like you asking questions when things don’t quite make sense. In other words “Shut up and keep working. Do as I say!” Lastly, as for Contract World:Their entire platform needs to be updated. There’s too much going on! I think the clients need to train their ‘managers’ to be just that…managers.
    Overall, my experience with Contract World: 8/10. My experience with their clients: 4/10!!!!
    Good luck to all those wish to work for the above clients.

4. January 25, 2014, 9:33 pm   /  Reply

Hi, I just received an invitation to training for TSC, which would be my first position through Contract World! Sounds like your experience was not a good one. I am having difficulty passing the Belarc test, then after reading your comment, not really sure if i want to even bother. How long did you work through Contract World?

• Eric
      January 29, 2014, 11:37 pm   /  Reply

Hey Brenda

I thought TSC might be fun to work for but I feel the same after hearing these comments. Please do keep us updated on your experience with TSC.

5. Andre R.
    March 10, 2014, 5:09 pm   /  Reply

Don’t even bother applying for jobs that offer pay per call wages. The pay rates they state in the listing doesn’t even come close to that. You would need to be faster than Speedy Gonzalez to be even able to reach near their target payout. You can be stuck with a customer for 20 minutes or 40 minutes and be paid for just a mere 2$ an hour.

I worked with the TSC and I made a small error. So I went back to correct it and i was given tons of crap by the chat supervisor saying I’m not on my shift and just to let the customer call back and complain. For all of that amount of trouble, I quit. Not worth the headache for just 4-6$ an hour where I can work at Mc Donald’s for less abuse and twice the pay.

6. Vincent
    April 9, 2014, 5:23 pm   /  Reply

I was accepted for training so that I could take orders for customers of Pizza Hut. Although target earnings are $7.50 to $10.50 per hour the pay is only $.49 per order. So if there are few or no orders on a given shift it may not be worth your time.

7. Vincent
    April 10, 2014, 5:29 pm   /  Reply

PS – I think that the government should require such home based work opportunities to pay minimum wage!

8. Kristal
    June 6, 2014, 6:12 pm   /  Reply

I applied an contracted with Intuitive Solutions Pizza Hut and quit the first day. I made a total of $7 for the three hours that I worked. Within those three hours I placed about 17 orders which were each $15 or more. When you total that up compared to how much they actually pay each agent it is not worth your time. In my opinion, the training was not what I expected. It is impossible to learn the entire menu for each store in three days. The TMS system is very outdated therefore causing the agents to drop calls. In total, it is not worth paying the $99. Contract World makes it almost impossible for you to actually get started after paying the course fees. It’s as if they want you to fail so they can keep your money. They are quick to let you go and move on to the next person. It’s all about money with them.